Sunday, February 27, 2011

Good time to lure those young swiftlets 吸引年轻燕子的良好时机

Yesterday noon, I went to inspect an about 5 months BH located at south of Selangor, last inspection was about 3 weeks ago. The intention was to check facilities working condition and growth of population also increase of nest. When I came near to the door prior to nesting room, I heard so many ‘dek dek sound’ from the nesting room. I held back my plan then open up CCTV screen immediately, there were lot of birds rushing at the entrance as well as nesting area. From the behavior and flying style I am sure that those are young swiftlets and very potential to be my new tenants.

I also notice from my another populated BH about 30mins driving distance apart from this new BH, the harvest record shows this particular month more than other normal month, which means there are a lot of young swiftlets flying out from their growing place and start hunting for their new home for nesting.

I think this is the good time to use our knowledge, techniques and strategies to lure as many swiftlets to be our permanent tenants. We can’t force every young bird to choose your BH for nesting, but the more birds you can attract to visit your BH will statically increase the chances for your BH to be chosen, of course it must associated with internal condition. There are more than 30BHs in that swiftlet farming zone, I am confident this BH will be one of the winners even as latecomer.

昨天中午,我到位于雪兰莪州南部的一间约5个月在燕屋检查,对上次的检查约数3星期前了。我的目的是检查设备的操作和燕子数目增长和燕窝的增加。当我走近筑窝房前的门口时,我听到很多的'Dek Dek’声音从里面传出来。我改变了我的计划,然后立即打开CCTV的屏幕,有群燕子在入口以及燕屋里游玩着。从它们的行为和飞行动作,我相信这些都是年轻燕子而且非常有潜力成为我的新租户。

从我另一间距离开车30分钟路程的旧燕屋记录显示,这个月份的收获比其他正常月份多,这意味着有更多的年轻燕子飞离成长的燕屋开始到处物色他们的新家园造窝。

我认为这是一个良好的时机使用我们的知识,技术和战略,以吸引多数的年轻燕子成为我们燕屋的永久住户。我们不能强迫每一只年轻的燕子选择你的燕屋筑巢,但你能吸引更多的燕子来访问你的燕屋将会增加你的燕屋成为选择造窝地的机会,当然它必须与内部条件配合。在该养燕区有超过三十间的燕屋,我相信这间燕屋将会是成功燕屋之一即使后来者。

4 comments:

  1. Are you in the West side of Malaysia?
    My friend's BH in the West of Thailand also enjoyed new young birds everyday right now. But it's not the same for BH in the East, still very quiet, due to the strong South East wind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes west of malaysia, no impact of monsoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi philip.. what is the size of open roof entrance, lot of birds fly inside open roof area great!.tq.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For this BH, entrance hole is 3.5ft x 3.5ft, and roof opening I think roughly about 12ft x 14ft

    ReplyDelete